I love the desert. I love to feel the heat soak into my bones like a lizard laying on a sunbathed rock in 100 degree weather. I love getting into a hot car after having been inside a place where the A/C is ridiculously overcompensating for the outside weather. I love the distinct mountains bordering all sides of Tucson letting the directionally challenged know which way we're headed, and yet still feeling as though you can see endlessly in any direction. I love the unique beauty of life struggling to grow and adapt in a dry land that seems destined for death. I love that cactus viciously defends the life inside that has managed to persevere. The desert is a part of who I am, and the place I feel most at home.

Explode with Joy

We’re going through a series on relationships at 2nd Mile. Last Sunday we looked at some characteristics that we are to manifest in how we relate to others. “Put on then as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, humility, meekness and patience… (Colossians 3: 12-17).” This is just the beginning of the list of characteristics, but the focus was mainly on the preface – “As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved. “ These three descriptive words are the foundation for all that follows. They are of greatest significance and power, and yet it is the part of the section I am most likely to have just skimmed over on my quest to determine exactly what outward manifestations I am to attain. And my quest will be a weak one -void of the founding power behind it. Because it’s not easy to always have compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, patience, forgiveness, love, peace, and thankfulness.

Last night we discussed this a bit at our mid-week discussion group. We started out by being asked if we are comfortable with these things – that we are chosen, holy, and beloved. It took me a while to process what was meant by this question, and true to what usually happens to me at discussion groups – by the time I have formatted some thoughts, the discussion is way beyond having moved onto something else. I think if we really were comfortable with this description of ourselves, then putting on the following characteristics would not be such a challenge. It wouldn’t feel hard or unnatural, because we would be comfortable responding “as we are now in Christ, rather than responding as who we were.” We are chosen by God. We are holy. We are beloved by God. As Chad said – these three truths should cause us to explode with joy! “Inward reality causes an outward expression.”

Sometimes our focus is too hard on ourselves – resulting in guilt, discouragement, and failure. So here’s to focusing on some amazing truths about myself. I am chosen. I am holy. I am beloved. By the God of the universe. May these truths sink in enough to reveal the characteristics of Christ that are living in me.

1 comments:

Janice said...

I've been thinking of joy a lot since the Corazon conference. Chad's way of expressing it, "explode with joy" is awesome. Thanks for sharing the things you're gleaning from 2nd mile. I've always loved that verse, and I appreciate your focus on the first part as being a foundation for the rest.

Copyright © 2008 - Life in the Desert - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template