I love the desert. I love to feel the heat soak into my bones like a lizard laying on a sunbathed rock in 100 degree weather. I love getting into a hot car after having been inside a place where the A/C is ridiculously overcompensating for the outside weather. I love the distinct mountains bordering all sides of Tucson letting the directionally challenged know which way we're headed, and yet still feeling as though you can see endlessly in any direction. I love the unique beauty of life struggling to grow and adapt in a dry land that seems destined for death. I love that cactus viciously defends the life inside that has managed to persevere. The desert is a part of who I am, and the place I feel most at home.

The Bourne Identity *spoilers for book and movie*

The last few days I’ve been living vicariously through Jason Bourne. I was looking for a book to read that was purely entertainment instead of informational. We don’t own a whole lot of entertainment books that I haven’t already read, but Keith has the Bourne series so he recommended I read The Bourne Identity. I almost refused because I don’t like reading books after I’ve seen the movie. I feel like it ruins all the imagination factor plus you already know what’s going to happen. I was desperate enough though to pick up a novel with a cheesy Victorian romance type of cover. I only have this book because it was written by George MacDonald and came in a box of George MacDonald books I borrowed from my Dad from when he ordered just about every MacDonald book he could get his hands on. If I can find a pic of the cover you’ll see why this particular book had gone untouched. I tried to give it a shot, but the first page started out with a description of hills and flowers and such and after a paragraph of this boring nonsense I traded it in for Jason Bourne. Now Keith told me it was different from the movie because it had a lot more detail - but after reading the book I fail to see how the book cover can say “Now a major motion picture” – when I don’t think there is anything that happens in the movie that happens in the book other than the main character getting amnesia. They have a few of the same character names such as Marie – but how did Marie go from being a Canadian Doctor of Economics whom he kidnaps at gunpoint, beats up, slaps around, and eventually greatly utilizes her expertise in banks and finances - to a German gypsy that he pays for a ride and she’s got nothing better to do than to get a crush on some guy she doesn’t know, flirt her way up to his apartment, and then tag along for the ride? I mean Jason Bourne’s not even really an assassin in the book! Had I read the book before the movie I may have been quite disappointed in the movie. But all in all it was a good book, and it was a good movie. Just don’t expect the two to have any plot correlation. As soon as I have another entire day or two to waste I will move on to the second book (Yes I have trouble putting a book down at all once I’ve started) and I will see if there is any possible way the second one has anything at all in common with the second movie. So far the end of the first book sets up the second in a way that would completely contradict the events of the second movie. So this time I will pick up The Bourne Supremacy with a completely open imagination and zero expectations.

6 comments:

Nia Greene said...

yeah the book and the movie are pretty much competely different.
I haven't read the Bourne Supremacy though so if you beat me to it you'll have to let me know how it is.

Janice said...

Your blog is awesome! It took me awhile to get past the slide show, but eventually I read it all : ). Very impressive!

Guapo Papo said...

George Macdonald rules Bourne drools.

Guapo Papo said...

Guapalitita

Guapo Papo said...

Yes it is true, you can love the second child as much as the first, even when she is more intense and opinionated, and orneryer, and louder etc etc than the first. Not that I have emperical evidence or anything like that to verify the aformentioned personality traits of a second child or anything of such a matter.

Shawna said...

Yeah well its only because your second child took after her father

Copyright © 2008 - Life in the Desert - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template