I love the desert. I love to feel the heat soak into my bones like a lizard laying on a sunbathed rock in 100 degree weather. I love getting into a hot car after having been inside a place where the A/C is ridiculously overcompensating for the outside weather. I love the distinct mountains bordering all sides of Tucson letting the directionally challenged know which way we're headed, and yet still feeling as though you can see endlessly in any direction. I love the unique beauty of life struggling to grow and adapt in a dry land that seems destined for death. I love that cactus viciously defends the life inside that has managed to persevere. The desert is a part of who I am, and the place I feel most at home.

Ill never look at butterflies the same

Scene: Kyla runs up to me with her toy butterfly and pretends to make her butterfly eat me

Me: "Butterflies dont eat people"
Elliot: "What do they eat?"
Me: "maybe little bugs"
Elliot: "Baby bugs should stay with their mommies so they dont get eaten by butterflies"
Me: "Well...I didn't say baby bugs - just little ones... or maybe they just eat leaves"
Elliot: "Butterflies are going to die"
Me: "Why do you say that?"
Elliot: "They should die because they eat babies"
Me: "They don't eat babies. Forget what i said about little bugs - they eat leaves!"
Kyla: (runs around room with her buttterfly held high) "I eat babies! I eat babies!"
Elliot: (running after Kyla)  "Die Butterfly! Die!"

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hilarious! And they look like such peaceful creatures... They've been fooling us all along. :)

Lindsay said...

This just made my day!!

Copyright © 2008 - Life in the Desert - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template