I love the desert. I love to feel the heat soak into my bones like a lizard laying on a sunbathed rock in 100 degree weather. I love getting into a hot car after having been inside a place where the A/C is ridiculously overcompensating for the outside weather. I love the distinct mountains bordering all sides of Tucson letting the directionally challenged know which way we're headed, and yet still feeling as though you can see endlessly in any direction. I love the unique beauty of life struggling to grow and adapt in a dry land that seems destined for death. I love that cactus viciously defends the life inside that has managed to persevere. The desert is a part of who I am, and the place I feel most at home.

where'd kyla go?

A couple weeks ago i was doing the dishes, when Elliot walked up and asked me if i could go get Kyla. My heart stopped as it suddenly occurred to me that it had been quiet for some time and as i scanned the room i didnt see or hear kyla anywhere. "Where is she?!" I asked, totally freaked out while i jumped over the kids gate i had put up to keep the kids from pulling the dishes out of the dishwasher as i loaded them in.
Elliot replied calmly, "She's in time out."
Oops.

Yesterday my friend Janice and her two girls came over. Kyla had climbed on the table and when i told her to get down she just looked at me and shook her head no. So into time out she went. Janice hadn't seen what had happened other than Kyla going in time-out, so a while later when she was correcting one of her girls for something i begin to tell her how a little while ago Kyla had flat out shook her head no at me when i asked her to do something. I hadn't gotten very far in the story, when it occurred to me "Wait... is Kyla still in time out?" Janice nodded her head yes and smiled as though she had been wondering just exactly how long i normally subjected my child to time out. Awesome.

And then today... I was sitting on the computer and noticing that Elliot had been playing nicely by himself next to me for a while. I could hear Kyla making occasional noises in her room, but it was odd she would be playing by herself for so long. I figured this meant she must be getting into trouble so i asked Elliot to go see what she was doing. He came back and said "She's just sitting in her room." He usually jumps at the chance to tell me when she's doing something bad so i figured she must be ok. Another 5 min go by and Elliot asks "Mommy can Kyla come out of time-out now? shes been in there a real long time."

Im starting to wonder how many years im going to be forgotten about while i wait in purgatory to pay this off.

6 comments:

Veronika said...

Time to get a timer!

Anonymous said...

LOL! It happens to the best of us. :) ... and yes, then I got a timer. It helps when I remember to use it.

Emily said...

IF ONLY Yemi would let me forget about her in timeout! I can't get her to be quiet for more than one minute!

Angel said...

Good news is Kyla is so sweet and compliant! Better news is she has a brother that looks out for her! Great news is she has a mom that is loving and wonderful! This just gives you a great opportunity to say sorry...one of the best parenting lessons I continue to learn. :)

Nia Greene said...

LOL Oh man, I've done that. It just gets so peaceful when they're not running around! Oops.

Janice said...

The timer is a good idea. Have Elliot keep an eye on it!

Copyright © 2008 - Life in the Desert - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template